Tuesday, May 22, 2012

S'mores Bars

I have posted a few recipes on the Team Shep blog that were originally posted on our (very neglected) Six Degrees of Supperation blog, but I thought I would go ahead and post all of mine on here as well so they are available in both places. And I apologize for the quality of the photos...they were taken with my old camera.

First, because it is a favorite, is the recipe for S'mores Bars. It is adapted from a Betty Crocker recipe. 

“Hey, you want a s’more?
Some more what?
No, no you want a s’more?
I haven’t had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?
You’re killing me Smalls!” – The Sandlot

These little goodies are delicious and addicting, but they are so rich that you can probably just eat one at any given time – unless your name is Derek Hicks…or Lane Arnold…or Josh Shepherd….ummm, never mind. I hope ya’ll enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 ½ sticks butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups (1 box) graham cracker crumbs
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 bag (11.5 oz) milk chocolate chips (2 cups)
  • 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow crème
  • Approx. 2 cups mini marshmallows


Heat the oven to 350ºF and grease the bottom and sides of a 13x9-inch pan. For this dish, I prefer what my Mother-in-Law calls the “Crayon Method” of greasing a pan...thanks for the tip Betsy :).



In a large bowl, beat the sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.


Stir in the graham cracker crumbs, flour, and salt.




Reserve 1 ½ cups of the graham cracker crumb mixture and press the remaining mixture in the bottom of the pan.


Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust (minus the two or three that must be eaten immediately) and press lightly.


Drop the marshmallow creme by the spoonful over the chocolate chips…warning…this is a slightly messy endeavor.


Wet the back of the spoon and use it to lightly spread the marshmallow creme over the chocolate chips (you will need to re-wet it many times)….again…a bit messy…but fun.



Sprinkle with the mini marshmallows.


Sprinkle with reserved graham cracker mixture. Make sure to leave some of the marshmallows peeking through, because they will get nice and toasty like real s’mores.


Bake 17 - 25 minutes, or until the marshmallows are puffed and light golden brown.


Despite how good your kitchen smells at this point, let the bars cool for at least 30 minutes before enjoying.
And let me tell you…they are fantastic. It is like you can taste the campfire in every bite! I recommend consumption with an ice-cold glass of milk.


Mmmmmmmmm...


p.s. Having a little Kings of Leon playing in the background magically makes them taste even better.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive