Thursday, November 8, 2012

Couch to 5K

I have never been a runner. Ever. In fact, I have always hated running. But I see people running, looking all fit and happy and stuff, and I really want to love it. 

 Also, I am determined to get in shape and lose these last 10 pounds of baby weight (plus another 10-15). And while I prefer group workout classes, the class times at most area gyms/studios are not very conducive to my current schedule. So, it is finally time for me to give running a real shot.  

I have no desire to run crazy long distances, but I think three miles would be great. And being able to participate in some fun 5K races throughout the year would be pretty cool as well...have you seen the zombie race?!

After doing some research, the "Couch to 5K" training program seemed like the best place to start. It is a gradual program that gets you from zero running to running a 5K within nine weeks. You only have to commit to training three times a week for 30 minutes, which I feel is manageable (but it does mean that this anti-morning person has to get up even earlier a couple times a week...yuck).

There is also a really cool C25K app you can download for your iPhone. It allows you to play any of your iTunes playlists, and a lady's voice interrupts the music to tell you when to start running/walking. She also tells you when you are halfway done. It makes it super easy to follow the program! Below is a screenshot of the app on my phone...


And I highly recommend adding a little Juanes to your playlist.

Yesterday was my first day, and it wasn't bad. The first-day program started with a five-minute warm-up walk, followed by 20 minutes of short walking and running intervals, and finally a five-minute cool-down walk. I am super sore today, but in a very good way.

I really want to keep this up and reach my goal, so I am blogging about it in order to keep myself accountable to my (three) readers out there.

5K (and sexy mom body) here I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive