Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ava - One Year

I still can't believe that Ava is one!

As cliche as it is, it literally seems like just yesterday that she was born. However, I was not as sad as I thought I would be on her birthday. While this year has flown by, and I get very sentimental thinking of the tiny baby version of Ava, she is at such a fun age right now. I also can't wait to see what the next year has in store. 

Ava is certainly acting like a little toddler these days. Ever since she moved up to the Infant II room in daycare a month ago, she has literally taken off.

And now that she is walking so well, she wants to walk everywhere! Which can be a bummer sometimes, because she doesn't want to be carried around as much. Luckily, she makes up for this by being super snuggly during the time between her bath and bed each night. It is by far my favorite time of day!

While I am very glad that I documented Ava's first year with all these monthly posts, they take a lot of time! So, I am ready to focus on shorter, more frequent posts about her milestones and adventures (but still including detailed posts every year and half-year). On that note, here are the highlights from the last month of her first year, starting with my favorites from her one-year (aka 12-month) photo shoot...






Stats:

  • 22.15 pounds (80%)
  • 31 1/4 inches (greater than 95%)
Milestones/Firsts:

  • As I mentioned above, Ava went from taking a few steps here and there to walking like a champ. I think most of the videos I took of her last month are of me chasing her around the house. For example...
  • Ava can also stand up by herself (i.e. without pulling up on something). 
  • She can point out most facial features when asked...nose, eyes, ears, mouth, hair, and cheeks. 
  • Ava's current vocabulary includes the following words: 
    • Da (Dog)
    • Dat (That)
    • NuhNuh (WubbaNubs)
    • Nana (Banana)
    • NoNo (No), which is usually said while shaking her head...and is the cutest thing ever. 
    • On occasion, she says "Night Night" after I do. 
Likes:
  • Ava absolutely loves leaves. As soon as we go outside, she starts collecting leaves. Luckily, she (usually) doesn't try to eat them. 

  • Ava loves to read books, and she will now pick out her favorites from a stack, bring them over to you, and plop down on your lap ready to read.  
  • Her favorite toys from last month are still getting lots of attention, but bath toys have become her new obsession. Of these, Ava likes the "Sassy Catch & Count Net" and the "Munchkin Lazy Buoys" the best. 
  • The girl loves dancing...which is something that makes this momma very happy! Here is a video of her getting down to the music from her toy. I love that she starts and stops when the music does. 
  • One of Ava's favorite activities is pulling all the dog toys out of basket in the living room. 

She also thinks it is hilarious to play tug-of-war with the dogs using said toys.

  • She still loves to eat, and is rarely picky. Her favorites are bananas, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, cheese, peaches, green beans, avocados/guacamole, and anything in a squeezie. 
  • As you can see below, some of Ava's biggest smiles occur while swinging at the park. 

  • Her Aden + Anais blankets have always been present in her bed...as swaddle blankets, sleepsacks, and finally loose blankets. But she has recently become very attached to them, and loves to carry her blankies around the house.
 
Dislikes:
  • Having her nails cut. This is an extremely challenging task!
  • Ava didn't like pineapple the first few times she tried it, but she is coming around. 
  • The (unhappy) toddler in her definitely comes out when we try to take something away from her/not let her have something that she really wants...keys, phone, etc. 
Funny/Random Tidbits:
  • If you ask Ava to sing for you, she responds with the following in a very soft voice: "da, da, da, daaaa, da, daaa...."  (which kind of sounds like the mockingjay tune from The Hunger Games) It is the most beautiful song ever. 
  • When Ava is looking around a corner, she is very exaggerated with her head tilt. Especially when she knows something fun...especially Daddy...is around the corner. 
  • She claps whenever you say "yeah!" :). 
  • Ava likes to "talk" on her play phone. She walks around as if she is conducting very important business. 

 
And finally, some of my other favorite pictures from last month...


"Can I tell you a secret? We are wearing the same thing."
The many faces of Ava. 

 
Getting a flower from her Dad :). 


Hey, beautiful.


Curls!



We love you so much, sweet girl. And we would re-live the past year in a heartbeat....sleepless nights and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive