Sunday, July 7, 2013

Fun, Fun for 31

Even though we celebrated many of our birthdays/anniversaries in Napa, a small group of friends joined Josh and I for a fun night out for my 31st birthday. 

We started the night at a new bar in Dallas called Smyth, which was such a cool place. It is a speakeasy-style bar with no sign, an inconspicuous door, and a doorbell for entry. 

And it has a total Mad Men vibe...complete with a dimly-lit bar, shag carpet, patterned wallpaper, retro glassware, and booths fit for Don Draper. 



Most nights, the bar is reservation-only. But not in the douchey, bottle service kind of way. Rather, there is no charge, you are guaranteed a table, and it keeps the crowds to a minimum. 


Our server/mixologist for the night was also the owner, Michael Martensen. He was fantastic. 

 Before ordering our first round of cocktails, Michael brought out a gingery aperitif to get the party started. 


There is no menu, so the bartenders mix up drinks based on your liquor and cocktail preferences...bubbly, refreshing, fruity, etc. 

When I told Michael that my favorite cocktail is the French 75, he made me two different versions. A raspberry French 75...


And a lavender French 75...


Both were delicious, and the lavender version was my favorite. 

Everyone else ordered fun drinks as well, including this cucumber concoction of Jill's...


Josh also finally got to taste the elusive bourbon he has been searching for... 


 However, I have been instructed not to name the "unicorn of bourbons" on this blog for fear that others will flock to Smyth and deplete their stash :). 

After a few cocktails at my new favorite bar, we walked down the street to Taverna for a delicious meal. 



If this night was any indication, I think 31 is going to be a good year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive